The Alchemist by Brazilian writer Paulo Coelho is a best-selling book in history. This book was first published in Portuguese and has gone international and many languages.
The novel is an allegory of what happens when a young shepherd seeks to follow his dream of finding a mysterious treasure in Egypt. Paulo Coelho wrote The Alchemist within two weeks in 1987. He related that he was able to maintain a consistent writing schedule because the story was in his soul already.
I read “The Alchemist” and learned so much. It’s all about following your heart and your dreams. It’s also about taking the risk of following your heart and your dreams. Most people don’t do that and I don’t blame them, but I do envy them.
The author is right in saying that “when you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it”, which he calls the “beginners luck.”
He talks about a period in our journey, where everything goes haywire, and everything is working against us, and it is almost to the brink of giving up, but at the same time we are also about to be tested for the last time, and that we are really close to our objective.
The journey and spiritual search of Santiago, the people he encounters, the visions he has, the omens he experiences, and the essence in which he speaks, are all things in which we can connect. It’s about discovering your Personal Legend and your aspirations irrespective of challenges and being connected to the world that is part of us and that is part of God. We are all one. We are all one.
We shouldn’t waste our time worrying about death, says the author. Live every day as the last day of our lives and enjoy it, he says. The only person who would accompany us through our lives is the person we first met in our mother’s womb, known as “Death”. “Death is a beautiful person who always sits beside us, so close to us that it travels with us wherever we go and it also accompanies us to our bed,” writes the author.
All of its companions have at one point or another been unfaithful. Only Death will never cheat.
The soul is never destroyed, it is indestructible, it changes a body just like we change clothes. Our soul is a part of God. In the end, it is our own soul that is God’s hand that writes everything, and our own soul is God’s part of the entire soul of God. I definitely believe that there is no fiction involved in this story of the shepherd, but it expresses the mysteries and realities of our life.
Much self-help material deals with following your dreams. Yet, too often, dreams do not actually pull you along; they are persistent but quiet, and it takes little effort to ignore them. How do you think, would you be able to follow something that looks like a hallucination to people around you.
Reading book written by Paulo Coelho is a sign of bravery and determination to make tough choices in life.
Some Favourite and Motivating Thoughts from the Book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- “One’s Personal Legend(destiny) is what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is. “At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend….whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do when you really want something, it’s because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It’s your mission on earth.”Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- “If someone isn’t what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- “Love is not to be found in someone else but in ourselves; we simply awaken it. But in order to do that, we need the other person. “Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- “You can become blind by seeing each day as a similar one. Each day is a different one, each day brings a miracle of its own. It’s just a matter of paying attention to this miracle.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist.
- “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting. “Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure. “Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Final Thoughts on The Alchemist Book
A Must read for any reader. You will fall in to deep thinking process and if you are a true believer, you might be able to simplify a thing or two in your life as well.
And If you want to read this book you can purchase this hard copy of The Alchemist. And if you want a free e-book, then you can download from below.